Tuesday, January 13, 2009

READING

So it has been a while since I just sat here and let everyone who cares to read this hear what has been going on in my head.

I have officially become a reader.

It all started with some of my good friends talking about this movie that they couldn't wait to come out because they were dying to go see it. When I tried to think of what new movies were coming out that girls would be gushing over I knew it had to be a love story and the only movie coming out that was a love story was that stupid vampire movie "twilight". It had interrupted all my favorite TV shows with a super long preview that only made me roll my eyes and then push fast forward on the DVR. When I finally asked if this was what they were talking about they said yes and asked me if I had read the books. HA HA HA, 1st: me read? yeah right! 2nd: a book about a vampire! not happening....or so I thought.
They talked so much about it that it made me curious about what it was really about...besides the obvious, high schoolers and vampires. I ended up going to see it....and that's where it all began.
After the movie I went home got on the computer and became obsessed. I read the first chapter of the 2nd book and that really messed me up. I had to know more. Cara one of the friends from the beginning brought me the 2nd book so that I could continue what was started. I started the 2nd book at 9pm on Monday night and was finished by 3pm on Tuesday afternoon. THIS BOOK IS OVER 600 PAGES!!!! this is also my first book to read from cover to cover EVER (i know how did I graduate without ever reading a book) As if that is not bad enough do you remember that I have KIDS!!!! 2 of them and one who depends on me totally. My poor baby was totally neglected. She took more naps that day than shes ever taken. Parker learned to feed himself. Needless to say I finished all 4 books in that same week. Reese now cries when she sees me holding anything that looks like a book....that is terrible.

My family got so excited about my reading that everyone started to give me names of books that they thought I would like. I was still not sure if I had found a new hobby or if I had just been obsessed with this one series.

Cara insisted that if I liked "Twilight" then I would love "Redeeming Love". It was based on the story of Hosea from the bible. I tried this book since Cara brought it to me. ANOTHER awesome book. This one was almost better because it showed Gods love through its romantic story. So now I have read 5 books. The next book that Cara brought to me is "Reading the bible in 2 years". I am very thankful to have a friend who has opened up a door that so many have not been able to open. I am also thankful for my new hobby!

Sadly, all this reading has not helped my grammar or my spelling. One baby step at a time i guess. Rome wasn't built in a day people!

8 comments:

The Hazlewoods said...

I feel the same way...however, I got hooked on Harry Potter books. I am literally OBSESSED now! I became one of those crazy people at the bookstore at midnight when the newest would come out...and the same with the movies. So, if you need a new series...go for the Harry Potter. They are crazy long, but you won't be able to put them down. I haven't gotten hooked on the twilight books yet, but Jillina keeps telling me I must.
By the way...I miss you! Next time you are in Atlanta...maybe we could get together. Love you!

The Shirley's said...

kate, I do not have your email or your phone number. I would love to get together. I am going to be there mid to late February. I MISS YOU TOOO!!! and would LOVE to see you.
PS. Twilight is GREAT and you should read it. I will give Harry Potter a try. Cason has all the books.
love you!!!!!

awalton said...

ok... we're the same person, because i've been obsessing over those books too, but haven't been able to get through them quite as fast as you! ;) i'm almost done with the 3rd one, justin makes me put it down when i start following hannah around with a book in my face. i agree with kate, Harry Potter is a must, you will love them and one day want to read them to parker and reese. also, if you liked Redeeming Love (i know, it's awesome, right?) then you'll LOVE the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers too. A-MAZ-ING! Love ya!

Becca said...

I am so impressed Randi!! I might have to try those books.

Amanda's News said...

Laughing out loud right now! I tried for what two years to get you to read A book....and the thing that got you hooked was vampires...UNBELIEVABLE! I will agree those books are a good read. I've only read the first two, but plan on reading all of them. YOU CRACK ME UP:)

whitney said...

UHHHH... where's my poster?! What your reading others?! I didnt know that! I dont know if I'm that addicted! Congratualations on your new hobby!

Jeannette said...

Hey, you sound like me. I read the first 3 books in a week and then was tortured having to wait for Breaking Dawn to come out! We were visiting family and since Nick was with me I totally neglected my kids and Nick would often find me hiding in a corner somewhere reading. I even joined an online community called Twilight moms. Yes that is how Obsessed I was!!! Now you know I have problems lol. I think I might look into that 5th book you mentioned on your post

Artsy Fartsy said...

Hey Randi! It was great seeing you at church yesterday! We should all get together sometime (and bring those precious babies!).

Erika